A Vegan Obsession. Powered by Blogger.

Lemon, cardamon cookies encrusted with dark chocolate and pistachio crumbs.


October...think falling leaves, cosy, body hugging knits and comfort food...slow cooked, baked, sweet and stoking a furnace our bellies.  That was the expectant seasonal change, blowing in on a gale as the new October arrived.  Reality?...90 degree heat, vibrant blue skies, summer shorts grabbed from the depths of my ironing basket and a list of recipes to cook, rendered completely inappropriate.  What to do?...go with the flow....what else.

This is my third time cooking with the Secret Recipe Club.  My two previous are here...   This month my baking buddy was Lisa, from sweet-as-sugar-cookies .  She's a busy girl, not only does she partake in the SRC but she also hosts her own Sweets For A Saturday Blog Hop.  There was a unbelievable amount of treats to chose from on her blog for me to try, but I rather bravely (stupidly?) chose a cookie that Lisa said was her ultimate recipe (what was I thinking of...tampering with perfection?!).  Lisa seems to love using lemons in her baking and I have not really used it much in sweet things before so I considered this a great opportunity to bake in someone else apron for a while (as opposed to walking in their shoes).  Being a vegan, as I am, a little tweaking of the recipe was going to be done.  Lisa's original recipe here Whilst delving into the (very long) recipe library on sweet-as-sugar-cookies blog I came across an exotic sorbet, flavoured with sweet perfumed cardamon powder and I just had to add that to the cookies (trust me, it took a while to narrow it down this far for my chosen recipe for the SRC...Lisa, do you do anything else but bake?!).  Finally, I was also inspired to do the sweet... salty....bitter thing by using dark, bitter chocolate, salty roasted pistachios and Truvia (stevia sugar).

In no time at all....Sweet Lemon, cardamon cookies dipped in rich bitter chocolate with a salty pistachio crust were born (baked). 


This recipe is also gluten and refined sugar free.  Makes approx 16 cookies.

Get your pinny on, and turn the oven to 190/375 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup of flour (I used gluten-free - 1/2 cup sorghum, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup potato flour)
2 tbs tofu
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/3 cup fruit syrup or agave
2 tbs lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cardamon powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

to take the indulgence up a notch....dip and dusting will also need....
small bar of dark bitter chocolate (if you want sugar free then splash out of a bar of decadent raw chocolate.  It is usually sweetened with agave or lucuma)
handful of roasted pistachios
1/4 tsp of sea salt


Method

1. Sift the flours, baking powder, cardamon powder, and salt into a bowl.
2.Mix the lemon zest into the fruit syrup then cream with the vegan butter and vanilla.
3. blend the tofu with a hand blender and add to the wet ingredients. Gradually mix in the flour mixture.
4. place the dough ball between two sheets of parchment, sprinkle with the stevia sugar and then roll to 1/4 inch. Cut into your desired shape and place on the baking sheet.









5. Bake for 9-11 min. until set but not browned (oops mine browned a little...I was too busy watching the chocolate melt!)

6. Leave the cookies to cool for a minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool.










7. melt the chocolate in a bain marie (set a bowl in a pan of boiling water and leave it to melt) then dip the cookies in half way and then carefully place on a wire rack. Sprinkle with pistachios and a scant amount of sea salt.
8. continue until all the cookies are dressed up in their cocoa/nut bling and pop into the fridge to set completely.





9. eat.












ta da!







When you join the SRC not only do you get to discover new bloggers every month and try foods that perhaps you wouldn't have tried before, you also have the excitement of the run up to REVEAL day when you get to see what everyone has been busy making in the kitchen and just who was your baking buddy.  I cannot believe how many more people join every month...you can too if you like..just click here to see what the excitement is all about


Thanks for being my October buddy Lisa! x







35 Comments:

Angela @ Vegangela 10 October 2011 04:22   Best Blogger Tips

YUM! GORGEOUS! BOOKMARKED! :)

Barb, sfo 10 October 2011 07:14   Best Blogger Tips

That sounds like a delicious combination! I definitely want to try these.

India-leigh 10 October 2011 07:35   Best Blogger Tips

@Barb, sfo

Hi Barb, thanks for visiting. I hope you do try them...let me know x

Bizzy B. Bakes 10 October 2011 07:42   Best Blogger Tips

Love the combination in this cookie. It looks so attractive, as well.

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy 10 October 2011 07:46   Best Blogger Tips

Wow, your dough looks so easy to work with for being a gf vegan dough! I make GF vegan things for my son all the time because of his allergies, but they rarely look so gorgeous. Well done!

Lisa~~ 10 October 2011 09:00   Best Blogger Tips

Wonderful looking cookies and I will be making these for the holidays.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Gretchen 10 October 2011 10:18   Best Blogger Tips

These look fantastic. It is always fun to find another blogger that is vegan and GFree :-)

aveganobsession 10 October 2011 13:12   Best Blogger Tips

@Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy

Anne, I am grinning from ear to ear at your comment. Thank you thank you! And how lovely that you son has a mum that happily bakes for him so he doesn't miss out.

Katherine Martinelli 10 October 2011 13:20   Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE these!!! The cookies are beautiful and look delicious. And gluten free and vegan to boot??? Wonderful.

Ruchi 10 October 2011 13:49   Best Blogger Tips

The combination sounds delish and looks sinful...

Sara 10 October 2011 14:48   Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous cookies! These are so pretty and I love the flavors! Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. :)

Lisa 10 October 2011 17:04   Best Blogger Tips

Oh my gosh, you really know how to make the ultimate into something even better. I love your version especially since I love the lemon cardamom combo and chocolate is always a big plus. Great creativity and gorgeous pics. Glad you liked the recipe.

chow vegan 10 October 2011 22:06   Best Blogger Tips

Wow, those cookies came out beautiful! From the flavor to the heart shape to the chocolate and pistachio covering, it's awesome! Great job! :-)

Trisha 10 October 2011 22:57   Best Blogger Tips

I think these cookies turned out really pretty!

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 10 October 2011 23:58   Best Blogger Tips

@Gretchen

Hey Gretchen, thanks for stopping by. I'm popping on over to see your blog now x

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 11 October 2011 00:00   Best Blogger Tips

@Ruchi

Ruchi, lol..perhaps just a tiny bit wicked....

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 11 October 2011 00:04   Best Blogger Tips

@Sara

Hey thanks Sara, I love cardamon too but not really experimented with it much in sweet dishes apart from kulfi and in my breakfast apple puree. I will check out your blog and see what you use it in. x

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 11 October 2011 00:06   Best Blogger Tips

@chow vegan

Hey Chow! thanks. I have to admit, I was so pleased with them...I took so many photos of them. Like a proud mama! lol x

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 11 October 2011 00:07   Best Blogger Tips

@Trisha

oh thank you so much Trisha, I am so happy that you thought them pretty! my day has been made.

Susie 11 October 2011 06:13   Best Blogger Tips

Yum! I love cardamon, and I can so relate with the weather thing. I love our 80 degree days, BUT, I really would like to slip a sweatshirt on and turn off the AC! These are gorgeous, don't you love those pistachios?!

Shelby 11 October 2011 08:20   Best Blogger Tips

Love these and they look so pretty!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook 11 October 2011 10:50   Best Blogger Tips

Wow! I love what you did with these cookies! Gorgeous!

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 12 October 2011 01:41   Best Blogger Tips

@Susie

Hey Susie, it is an Indian Summer for us in the UK so I am welcoming it for as long as it lasts! lol. Yes, the pistachios tickle me pink, with their rose and lime colourings on the skn. Lovely.

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 12 October 2011 01:42   Best Blogger Tips

@Shelby

thank you so much for commenting Shelby...it is quite irrational, but I cannot deny it makes my day!

Desi 18 October 2011 08:21   Best Blogger Tips

Oh my oh my oh my! These cookies are seriously beautiful! I love everything about them... that they are hearts, dipped in chocolate, and the pistachios! I could eat alot of those :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/10/octobers-secret-recipe-club-avocado.html

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 19 October 2011 01:21   Best Blogger Tips

@Desi

hee hee, Desi, your enthusiastic comment gave me the warm and fuzzies. THANK YOU!

Anonymous,  26 October 2011 11:26   Best Blogger Tips

These look super yummy. But how much cardamom would I use?

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 26 October 2011 12:32   Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous

Anonymous, THANK YOU for pointing out my gaff! 1/4 tsp. I've popped it in the post now. So grateful for you taking the time to let me know. x

Donna,  4 December 2012 16:41   Best Blogger Tips

SIMPLY STUNNING CULINARY ARTISTRY HERE...So bookmarked...so "ON" my Noƫl must-make cookie list..Thank you for the incredible sharing of your culinary acumen!

India Leigh 4 December 2012 18:03   Best Blogger Tips

@Donna

Hola Donna! THANK YOU!!! (blush). x

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. THANK YOU!

Subcribe to comments to be notified of replies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

All the photography is by me unless otherwise stated. Please do not use photos without permission from me. When used please mention aveganobsession. Thanks for understanding. x

StatCount

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Best Blogger Tips