A Vegan Obsession. Powered by Blogger.

Baked Zucchini Fries with lemon aioli - Gluten free, low fat and crispilicious


Hello!  This week I've been rushing around, on my bike, on the train, around food festivals, in food markets, around my kitchen experimenting with some delights I will share here soon.  Busy, busy! I have also been racking up some time at  The Lean Green Bean   Its my fifth month with the The Secret Recipe Club and Lindsay's foodie foray was to be my December assignment. Read about it here to find out what it's all about (if you can keep a secret).   

Lets talk fries....





Crispy garlic Zucchini Fries

These looked so good on Lindsay's blog I just had to give them a go.  There was a teeny bit of tweaking to be done to make these crispy sticks gluten-free and vegan.  Traditional recipes of this type use egg to bind the crumb to the object- de-la-legumes so I needed to find the best alternative.  I didn't want to use something out of a box that someone else had produced I wanted to find a vegan 'egg' in my cupboards.  This website was a big help - all about egg replacements in baking.  I used 1 tbs flour (sorghum), 1/2 tsp oil and 2 tbs water to mix to a paste.  It worked a treat.  Here is what you need for the rest of the recipe

  Ingredients
(serves 2)

2 zucchini (courgettes) julienned
2 tbs gluten-free flour (sorghum has a lovely flavour and works perfectly)
1 tbs vegan Parmesan powder or nutritional yeast
1/4 tbs gluten-free bread crumbs
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp paprika (you can also add a pinch of chili powder if you want them fiery)
salt & pepper to taste

 

method




1.Prepare your station
bowl one - flour & Parmesan
bowl two - egg replacer - (flour, oil and water)
bowl three - breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder, baking powder, salt & pepper
2. dip the bald fries into the bowls from 1-3 ensuring they are well covered. 3. gently place on an oiled baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven at 220 degrees for 20 mins.  Give them a little shake halfway through. 4. serve immediately with lemon aioli (blend tofu, lemon juice and garlic powder or minced garlic clove and season to taste)



Did I enjoy them? A picture speaks a thousand words!   


I think I actually like them better than sweet potato fries (speaks my fickle heart) as the texture and flavour are very close to white potato fries...only better AND good for you.  The spud being a member of the nightshade family is a no-go area for many.  This recipe will be sweet music to their ears.

See, this is what happens when you are a member of The Secret Recipe Club, you stumble across edible gems you might otherwise have missed. Bravo Lindsay. I hope your December SRC was as happy-making as mine.

29 Comments:

Jaida 5 December 2011 08:55   Best Blogger Tips

I've been meaning to try zucchini fries, and these look great! Good choice for SRC!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean 5 December 2011 11:14   Best Blogger Tips

awww i'm SO glad you were able to adapt these so successfully! and glad you liked them!!

Lisa 5 December 2011 11:16   Best Blogger Tips

I am crazy about zucchini fries. I make them at least twice a week. Your lemon aioli sounds like the perfect accompaniment to them.

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 5 December 2011 12:56   Best Blogger Tips

@Jaida

Hey Jaida (gorgeous name!), thanks for stopping by. Do try them, they are v.tasty. x

Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook 5 December 2011 13:16   Best Blogger Tips

It was such a pleasure getting to cook from your blog this month. Your black bean soup became a new favorite for our household, in spite of the changes I had to make because my pantry was wiped out, LOL!! Great recipe. Thank you!!

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 5 December 2011 13:48   Best Blogger Tips

@Lisa


Hey Lisa, thanks for stopping by. Is your zucchini fries recipe on your blog? What do you usually serve yours with? See...look, I've gone all zucchini fry obsessed!

Heather Lynne 5 December 2011 13:50   Best Blogger Tips

I love fried zucchini and this looks like a great way to make it finger food! Great dipping sauce as well!

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 5 December 2011 13:50   Best Blogger Tips

@Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook

Aww Jane, you are so nice. Thank you. I am so happy to know you AND your family love the soup now. x

judee @ gluten Free A-Z 5 December 2011 16:05   Best Blogger Tips

I can't wait to try these! I love that they are gluten free and they lookl so good.

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 6 December 2011 01:47   Best Blogger Tips

@judee @ gluten Free A-Z

Hey Judee, please do let me know how yours turn out! :)

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 6 December 2011 01:50   Best Blogger Tips

@Heather Lynne

Hey Heather, thanks for stopping by. Yes, try them! The flavours/textures all work so well together. I greedily at them all at once....erm, just for research purposes..so I could be sure I definitely understood all the flavours. ;)

Astrid 6 December 2011 09:12   Best Blogger Tips

zucchini fries! this brings back memories, we had them a lot when I was a child! must make them again havent had them for ages!

Kristy Lynn 6 December 2011 16:05   Best Blogger Tips

huh - what a handy idea should i find myself sans eggs! i substituted banana for eggs in a cake one day - worked like a charm... though my cake then tasted like banana. go figure.

zucchini i love though!

chow vegan 6 December 2011 21:21   Best Blogger Tips

Super yum! Those zucchini fries look awesome! Love that they're baked and still look really crispy. :-)

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 7 December 2011 00:23   Best Blogger Tips

@Astrid

Hello Astrid,

See....I always knew the UK was a bit slow on the uptake! I guess I bring you nostalgia not innovation. lol

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 7 December 2011 00:27   Best Blogger Tips

@Kristy Lynn

Hello Kristy, thanks for stopping by. Yes banana is a great substitute for eggs in cake but if you don't want everything banana then try applesauce and up the baking powder. I use a table spoon of bp in a mix for 6 muffins.

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 7 December 2011 00:29   Best Blogger Tips

@chow vegan

Hey Chow, thanks for saying hi. I hope you try them. They are v.moorish! x

Katherine Martinelli 8 December 2011 00:39   Best Blogger Tips

Wow, these look delicious! Amazing vegan improvisations - I will have to try making aioli from tofu some time! These are going on my must make list soon.

BigBearswife 12 December 2011 11:08   Best Blogger Tips

mmm I love to make baked mushroom fries! I bet I would LOVE LOVE LOVE Baked Zucchini Fries!!

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 13 December 2011 01:23   Best Blogger Tips

@BigBearswife

Hello BigBearsWife, thank you for saying hi. ?Mushroom Fries? really? Have you a recipe for them? Hmm, I am intrigued! Thank you x

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 13 December 2011 01:26   Best Blogger Tips

@Katherine Martinelli

Hello Katherine, thank you for your comments. Yes try aioli with tofu, it is v.fine it is cool, garlicky and perfect with the fries or spooned ontop of veggie burgers too.

Anonymous,  13 December 2011 12:39   Best Blogger Tips

These sound great, but what temperature do you cook them at?

India-leigh@AVEGANOBSESSION 13 December 2011 12:44   Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous

Oops, so sorry. Thanks for spotting my omission. It is 220 degrees.

Anonymous,  31 July 2012 19:05   Best Blogger Tips

either i did something terribly wrong or this is the worst recipe in the world.

Anonymous,  31 July 2012 19:05   Best Blogger Tips

either i did something terribly wrong or this is the worst recipe in the world.

india-leigh 1 August 2012 00:53   Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous

Hi Anonymous...shame it happen for you. If you tell me what you didn't like (crumb, flavour, crispyness) I could try and help. But perhaps they just weren't your bag? x

Anonymous,  12 August 2012 18:02   Best Blogger Tips

Just a warning...I followed the recipe pretty closely and it turned out terrible. From my experience with breading, my suggestions would be--
double the recipe and cut the paprika to 1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp (assuming you are using 2 zucchini like the recipe suggests).
consider omitting station one and just dip the zucchini in the wet batter right away...just add the nutritional yeast/parmesean to the breadcrumb mix. Oh, and the breadcrumbs...you'd probably have better luck with cornmeal or more flour.

India Leigh 13 August 2012 12:10   Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous

thanks for trying the fries. Oh, I get so sad when someone doesn't like a recipe. I'd love to know more of what you did to see if I can figure out why it didn't work out for you. I've made these a few times to my recipe and loved them. I wish you could too.

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. THANK YOU!

Subcribe to comments to be notified of replies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

All the photography is by me unless otherwise stated. Please do not use photos without permission from me. When used please mention aveganobsession. Thanks for understanding. x

StatCount

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Best Blogger Tips